//Milkandmookies

<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said on <$BlogCommentDateTime$>

<$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>

<$BlogCommentBody$>

<$BlogItemCreate$>
DIY/TUTORIAL: PRETTY BUNTING

Wednesday 1 December 2010 @ 17:00 | 2 Comments

Hey all! Its getting nearer to christmas and its finally snowed where i live. But only a little though so no snowball fights yet! I brought out my wellies in what seems like forever ago since i've worn them. They're perfect for keeping your feet warm and dry, but the material is always so stiff so it makes me walk like a toy soldier because i can't bend my ankles properly. 
I finally have a day off work today! Although they freakin called me at 6am probably to see if i could come in. I just hung up on them LOL. I need this day off!
Anyway, back to the point!
This is my first time posting a tutorial. The lighting in them are awful but i tried to edit it as much as possible so that you're actually able to see it. The light source was mainly from my lamp on my desk. I also hope that its easy to follow and understand!


What You Need:

1/2 metre - 1 metre of printed cotton depending on how long you want yours. I only needed half a metre of fabric, which made 8 triangles.
2 - 3 metres of bias or ribbon. This also depends on how long you want it. I used around 2 metres for mine.
Thread. Ideally something that matches your fabric
Scissors.
A Sewing Machine! Or if you want to handstitch, then a needle! 

Before you start, make sure your fabric is nice and flat so give your material a quick iron.

STEP ONE: 

Cut out bunting shaped triangles. I used this TEMPLATE. Print it out and then cut off the top bit to make it into a triangle. Lay it on top of the fabric and cut around it. I just drew around the template as the pen marks wouldn't be seen anyway.

You should end up with a bunch of cut of triangles. I cut out 16 triangles to make 8 flags for the bunting. The amount of triangles will need to be an even number!


STEP TWO:


With right sides facing together, sew along the highlighted lines. Do this for the rest of the triangles.

 You should end up with lots of pretty triangles!

STEP THREE:

 Iron all the triangles so that they're nice and flat.

Also iron the bias in half lengthways.

STEP FOUR:

Cut the top of the triangles (open side of the flag) to make them neater. Forgot to take a photo! But its a pretty simple step anyway.

STEP FIVE:

Slip each flag in between the bias. Pin or tack in place.
Leave about 1cm between each flag.
Make sure you leave enough bias at each end so you can tie it up.
When you're done pinning or tacking everything down, start sewing along the hightlighted line all the way across your bunting.

STEP SIX:

Finish off the ends. Fold the ends inwards and then continue to sew lengthways.

FINISHED!

 Snow outside my window!

I attached letters onto my bunting as i'm making this for a friend for christmas. It gives it a little more of a personal touch.

If you want to do this then heres a few added steps:
[Do all these before step two above]

a) Cut out letters from a contrasting piece of fabric. [I printed out the letters on paper and used that as a template]

b) Sew them on using the zig zag stitch along the edges of the letter. The zig zag stitch helps the fabric from fraying.

c) MAKE SURE YOU STITCH THE LETTERS ON BEFORE YOU STITCH THE TRIANGLES TOGETHER.

Easy Peasy :) (At least i hope it appears so!)

I hope this is easy to understand! And if you attempt it, send me a piccy as i'd love to see your result!
If you're at all confused or want to ask questions, just comment below and i'll try and help as much as i can!

ps: OH...Pinch, punch, first day of the month!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments

About Me

Hiiii. I'm Anna and welcome to my little online space.


Clickables


Follow Milk & Mookies

Follow Me on Pinterest


Let's Talk!


Credits

Template by : Farisyaa Awayy
Basecode by : Nurynn