//Milkandmookies

<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said on <$BlogCommentDateTime$>

<$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>

<$BlogCommentBody$>

<$BlogItemCreate$>
COOK: Low Fat Brownies

Saturday 30 April 2011 @ 17:03 | 18 Comments

Heyhey. Did everyone enjoy having that extra day off yesterday for the royal wedding? I actually had to work in the afternoon yesterday, but i still got to watch the main ceremony yesterday so all is good! My street hosted a small party, and it even got featured on BBC news! Ohhh yeaaahh. It was such a joyous day, really felt like the whole of the UK came together and celebrated. Did anyone outside the UK watch the ceremony? I'm quite curious on how big the wedding was around the world!
Other than that, i came across this recipe for a low fat version of brownies! I have a massive sweet tooth (as most of you should know!) but eating cakes everyday really isn't any good for my waistline. So whenever i come across a low fat version of my favourite things, i immediately have to try it out! I have to say though, that some "low fat" recipes for baked goods are a little deceptive. The ingredients seem really similar to the ones usually featured in the normal versions, with all the butter and eggs. Low fat my ass.
I'm not gonna lie though, they're not as indulgent as normal brownies, and has a much more light and cakey texture. I put this down to the lack of oil, which i believe is the key ingredient which makes brownies dense. 
My brownies are round because i decided to bake them in cupcake trays LOL. This way i know how much I'm eating and how many calories i'm consuming. You can always do it the normal person way and use a cake tray and slice them up, but i find the circular shape kinda cute :P

Low fat Brownies
Makes 18
 58 calories a piece

1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup plain flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder (optional,doesn't add any coffee flavour)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

 1. Preheat oven to 175C.
2. Grease your cake pan/cupcake tray.
3. In a mixing bowl,mix the applesauce, vanilla, egg whites and sugar until they are well combined.
4. Stir in the rest of the ingredients and mix until well combined and no lumps remain.
5. Pour into your cake pan/cupcake tray.
6. If using a cake pan, bake for 20-22 mins. For the cupcake tray, bake for 10 mins.
If they're done, a toothpick inserted through the centre should come out dry (a few crumbs are ok)
I thought that they could be much more chocolatey, so I very nautily spread a bit of chocolate spread on top. Slightly defies the low fatness, but it still works out much less calories than the original. Just be a bit sparing with the chocolate spread :P
And also if you want to cut the calories a little more, use sweetener instead of sugar.

Hope everyone has another great bank holiday weekend! It depresses me that i'll be working both sunday and monday as well. Boooo. 
But i have one thing to look forward to however! I've just booked a fish pedicure for wednesday lunchtime with my girlies. It'll be my first time, i'm both nervous and excited! I've heard it's ticklish. Hope not too much though cos i have very ticklish feet. I feel sorry for those fishies, for me to unleash my horrid feet upon them.
Has anyone else had a fish pedicure? Do tell! I'd like to prepare myself for the experience hehe.

Have a lover-ly weekend lovies!

x

Labels: ,

18 Comments

About Me

Hiiii. I'm Anna and welcome to my little online space.


Clickables


Follow Milk & Mookies

Follow Me on Pinterest


Let's Talk!


Credits

Template by : Farisyaa Awayy
Basecode by : Nurynn