//Milkandmookies

<$BlogCommentAuthor$> said on <$BlogCommentDateTime$>

<$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>

<$BlogCommentBody$>

<$BlogItemCreate$>
COOK: Almost No Fat Banana Bread

Saturday 5 March 2011 @ 11:45 | 15 Comments


Hello all! Hows everyone weekend going so far? Not much is happening for me at the moment. I'm currently babysitting my ickle sister and watching The Little Mermaid. Ahh. Disney classics are the best. I actually made this cake/bread last weekend. Been meaning to post it earlier but haven't had the time till now. I went the Daventry the other day with the boy where we went to attend his graduation ceremony. But not your typical university one. He works for the car company Volvo, and has recently passed his appreticeship so they held an event to award all the new volvo service technicans. They served an ah-mazing three course lunch btw! But yush, i was so proud of him! He even took away with him the award for appretice of the year. It was so funny, as he wasn't expecting it and when they called out his name, he jumped frantically in his seat, haha!

I've tried other recipes for Banana cakes/bread, but this one is by far the best one. Its also apparently low fat, so i don't feel so bad scoffing it all. I think this is probably down to the use of just egg whites, and doesn't contain the usual ingredient of butter. Even though it's low in fat, it really doesn't taste like it! The cake went down a treat with my family, as they're usually quite calorie conscious. Anywho, this works best with really ripe bananas. Overripe ones are often sweeter in taste and softer in texture so you can easily mash it up. I usally like to be a little experimental with baking so i've adapted this recipe from the original here.


























Ready in 1 hour 5 mins.
Serves 12.
Ingredients:
 
200g (7 oz) plain flour
140g (5 oz) caster sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 egg whites
4 bananas, mashed
2 tablespoons of Nutella
Two handfuls of dessicated coconut
A handful of raisins

1. Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4. Lightly grease a 20x10cm (8x4 in) loaf tin.
 
2. In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon. Make a small well in the middle then add egg whites, mashed bananas, raisins and nutella; stir just until combined. Pour batter into prepared tin. (the batter doesn't have to be smooth, i prefer having little bits of whole banana in my cake)
 
3. Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, until a skewer inserted into centre of loaf comes out clean. Turn out onto wire rack and allow to cool before slicing.

Optional: I sprinkled brown sugar on top to make the top edge crispy.
 
 Look at all that bananary goodness! ;)
 
Cor, I'm such a fatty. I'm eating wayyy too many cakes at the moment. I eat healthily on a daily basis but i have such a sweet tooth, cakes, cookies and all that marlarky is my downfall. I think i need to invest more in low fat recipes to satisfy my cravings! Does anybody know any good recipe books?
 
Currently reading: Lets Kill Uncle by Rohan O'Grady (I actually just finished it this morning. I really enjoyed it, they even have a film based on it which i'd like to check out)
 
Have a wonderful weekend lovies!
 

Labels: , ,

15 Comments

About Me

Hiiii. I'm Anna and welcome to my little online space.


Clickables


Follow Milk & Mookies

Follow Me on Pinterest


Let's Talk!


Credits

Template by : Farisyaa Awayy
Basecode by : Nurynn